A friend of mine has just moved back to the North East from London and with a new baby in tow has asked me for some tips of places to go.
I was trying to think back to what I did when my first child was a baby. When they are really tiny you still have that chance to be a bit more selfish and take them along in the pushchair or sling to the places you want to go, even when sleep deprived, such as enjoying a caffeine boost and cake, visiting a museum, catching a film, taking a walk, or visiting a shop or book shop etc. But it’s handy if they’re pushchair friendly, have a decent nappy change, and somewhere warm to breast/bottle feed not too far away. I’ve come up with a few but please add yours too (anywhere in the North East welcome!) Thanks!
* Bringing in Baby at the Tyneside Cinema
* A walk and coffee on the beach at Tynemouth Longsands
* Browse the shelves and fall asleep by the fire at one of Europe’s largest second hand book shop Barter Books home of the “Keep Calm and Carry On” poster. There’s a children’s section and baby change.
*Tour the art galleries in Newcastle:
http://www.amber-online.com/sections/side-gallery (not one for if you’ve got the pram as there are stairs to the first floor)
* A walk round Heaton Park, bargain hunt in the charity shops of Chillingham Road and have a cuppa and cake in the Sky Apple Cafe http://www.skyapple.co.uk/
* Join the National Trust. Lovely pushchair-friendly walks around my favourites Gibside/Belsay/Wallington/Cragside and there’s always a cafe/baby change on hand.